So I’ve been reading a lot about how to increase traffic on your blog, what makes a good blog, how to get people interested… things like that. I’ve been seeing a trend where some sites recommend writing controversial blog posts. Aside from sitting here wondering if this would be the right thing to do, I’m not even sure what I would write. Funny thing is, I work in the legal industry which is fraught with controversy and yet I can’t think of one controversial thing to write about. I wonder if taking things that I’ve read on other blogs that I thought were controversial, spinning them in a writing sense and posting them would make a difference. What kinds of things have I read you wonder? Well, things like…
1. If you’re a young woman and need to pay for college become an escort to rich men or go on seekingarrangement.com. And hey, bonus, you might meet your future husband.
2. Killing babies is bad vs. killing babies is good (i.e. abortion because you have to get that keyword in there).
3. You should do drugs to get ahead; use Adderall if you want to be successful.
4. Gay marriage will ruin this country vs. gay’s deserve the same rights as anyone else in this country.
5. Utilize sexual harassment to get a promotion (side note: maybe a better title would be how to blackmail your way to the top).
6. Being a Tiger Mom is the only way your child will succeed.
7. Fifty Shades of Grey is full of filth and promotes abusive relationships vs. Fifty Shades of Grey will reignite your sex life.
8. The death penalty only promotes more violence.
Yes, that’s all stuff I’ve read in at least the past year on various blogs. I’m not linking to them because, well, I’m lazy and don’t feel like hunting for the pages nor do I remember exactly where I read all of them. But this is all stuff, some of it, found on many top rated blogs. I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with these things… I just think they’re controversial conversation starters.
But, it makes me wonder if writing posts like that really works? Although, I’m not sure I could do it. I don’t think that’s my style. From being surrounded by controversy all day, I don’t think my brain likes to function that way on its own terms. I’d rather stick to writing things like I discussed in this post and hope they’re interesting enough to hold your attention beckoning you back to read more. Or I’ll just write random rambling posts on topics that interest me and hope you don’t think I’m crazy. Or maybe if you do think I’m crazy that will bring you back wanting more. Kidding. Kinda.
However, if you’re looking for a way to increase blog traffic or feel really passionate about a controversial issue, then hey by all means write away. It might work for you. It’s just an idea. What do you think? Have any of you this method?